Friday, February 21, 2014

Fragrant South Indian Beef Curry

Since starting this blog at the beginning of the year I have come to the conclusion that most recipes need the "three times at bat" rule.  The big exception to that was the Chile Spiced Skirt Steak Taco Recipe.  That won me and my family over on the first try and we keep going back to it time and again.  Since not every recipe is going to be that captivating here is my plan:
  • First try:  Follow the recipe as closely as possible omitting or substituting only absolutely when necessary to stick with our dietary restrictions.  (Coconut Oil for Canola Oil is a good example)
  • Second Round:  This is where I either liked the recipe and try it again to make sure you followed it correctly or I  mix it up to make improvements.
  • Round Three:  Is where I either experiment with sides or re-try my round two improvements.
The Fragrant South Indian Beef Curry recipe required all three rounds, even though I changed very little. (As noted, I switched out the steamed rice and used Quinoa and, of course, went with the healthier Coconut Oil)  The reasons for all three rounds:  I can't decide if I like this dish or not.  I clearly don't dislike it since I made it three times but I'm also on the fence about liking the very strong "fragrant" flavors.  Star anise is a very new ingredient for me and wow, does it pack some seriously strong, perfume-y flavor.  Should I eat it or dab it behind my ears?

Either way, the dish does smell amazing while cooking!  If you give it a try I would love comments back to see what you think.
Curry with a side of steamed brocolli

Fragrant South Indian Beef Curry


2 tablespoons canola oil Coconut Oil
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
12 fresh curry leaves or 2 bay leaves
6 garlic cloves, grated
4 teaspoons finely grated peeled fresh ginger
1 tablespoon tomato paste dissolved in 1/2 cup of water
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
4 small dried hot chiles
4 star anise pods
Two 3-inch cinnamon sticks
1 3/4 pounds boneless beef short ribs, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
Salt
In a medium enameled cast-iron casserole, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the onion and curry leaves and cook over moderate heat until lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, 1 minute. Stir in the dissolved tomato paste along with the coriander, garam masala, cayenne, turmeric, dried chiles, star anise and cinnamon sticks. Add the ribs, season with salt and stir until coated with spices. Cover partially and cook over very low heat until the meat is tender, about 1 hour and 30 minutes. Spoon off as much fat as possible and discard the star anise, cinnamon sticks and bay leaves, if using.
MAKE AHEAD
The beef curry can be refrigerated overnight.
SERVE WITHSteamed rice. Quinoa
SUGGESTED PAIRING
Spiced, dark-berried red. We went with our usual Rex Goliath Malbec.  Its heavy, fruity flavor worked well with the hot, spicy, perfume-y beef and this curry dish needs a wine that can stand up to its bold flavor.

Food & Wine Annual Cookbook 2013, page 212

No comments:

Post a Comment