Thursday, July 20, 2017

Ben Ford's Devil's Chicken or The Road Back to Healthy

From January 2017.

The holiday season is over and as I look back it seems I not only took time off from blogging, I also took time off from my usually healthy eating.  

For over two years my husband and I have faithfully followed a gluten free, soy free, sugar free diet.  The first year we stuck to our plan exclusively.  Year two we realized it was ok, in fact, psychologically necessary, to cheat on occasion.  We established the 80/20 rule. Healthy for 80% and the remaining 20% my husband could sneak in a burger and not feel guilty about the brioche bun and I could be guilt free about my order of blackened fish tacos on, gasp, a flour tortilla.

This holiday more and more "bad" food snuck into my diet.  It wasn't so much about the holiday.  It was about the time I was committing to other projects.  While spending more and more time volunteering at a farm that was promoting Buy Local, Eat Fresh, Live Well, I was buying local fast food, eating processed and feeling ill.

It is a new year and time to get back to my routine.  Good bye gluten.  Good bye sugar and the rest of the evils. Usually I am talking about how to modify or change a recipe to fit in with my  diet.  While its fun for me to take these great recipes I find and convert them into my version of "healthier", its also great to find a recipe that is ready from the starting block. That recipe today is Ben Ford's Devil's Chicken from Food and Wine Magazine.

So, if I'm not going to be talking about conversion and substitutions, then what?  How about knowing where your food comes from and is it fresh, organic and, importantly, local?  In this dish we used ingredients mostly from The Fancy Chicken Farm, a local poultry farm that also grows its own herbs.  (garlic, lemon, dijon, crushed red pepper and salt and pepper were purchased at the local market)





INGREDIENTS
·         8 garlic cloves, finely chopped
·         3 tablespoons chopped thyme
·         3 tablespoons finely chopped rosemary
·         2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
·         2 tablespoons finely chopped basil
·         2 tablespoons finely chopped oregano
·         1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest plus 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
·         2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
·         1 tablespoon kosher salt
·         1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
·         2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
·         1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
·         Three 1 1/2-pound skin-on, boneless whole chicken breasts  


HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE

In a food processor, combine the garlic, thyme, rosemary, parsley, basil, oregano, lemon zest and juice, black pepper and salt; pulse until a paste forms. With the machine on, add the oil, then add the mustard and crushed red pepper and pulse to mix. Scrape the marinade into a large bowl. Add the chicken. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours.
Set up a grill for indirect cooking and heat to 425°. Cover 3 bricks with foil. Removethe chicken from the marinade, scraping off the excess. Oil the grill grate. Set the chicken breasts skin side down on the grill and press them down with the bricks. Cover and cook at 425° until browned on the bottom, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove the bricks and turn the chicken. Cover with the bricks, press down and cover the grill. Cook until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the breasts registers 160°, about 15 minutes longer. Transfer the chicken to a board to rest for 5 minutes. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment