Thursday, January 23, 2014

Gochugaro Grill! Or...fly by the seat of my pants chicken

In starting this blog, the plan was (and is) to transform fun, already existing recipes into healthy gluten free, meals my family would love.  So far so good.  We've had a successful shrimp dish.  We've had a yummy lamb meatball dish.  We had a "meh" pork dish and an OUT OF THIS WORLD Steak Taco dish.

While I love converting the recipes so they conform to my families way of eating, there is something that has become a bit limiting.  The projects have been fun and I have been enjoying the process but the other day I felt stifled.  I didn't want to do it.


"Come on, Girl!  Its way to early in the project for burn out!"  Nope.  Still didn't feel it and I couldn't put my finger on it.


Then there was a light. 


An email came in from my dear cousin, Jess, who had read the blog and fell in love with a dish. While that in itself was encouraging, it was what he said next..."Since I was carefully following a recipe, which I never do, I had to take back my "fly by the seat of my pants" thing somehow".  There is was!  I come from a long line of marvelous cooks who "fly by the seat of their pants".   There was my light.  I needed to forgo the existing recipe for the week and go back to my roots.  I, too, usually cook by the seat of my pants. Below is that effort.  Below is a recipe made from my own head, my own heart and by the seat of my pants and by all those aunts in pants who taught me what I know about cooking.




Ingredients* (Recipe ingredients updated 3/14/2014) (And, updated again 4/5/2014)

Marinade/paste
1/3 C Gochugaro (Korean Chile used in Kim Chi)
1 tps grated fresh ginger (about an inch or inch and 1/2 piece of ginger)
4 cloves garlic chopped
The zest of one lime
2 Tbs Olive Oil (eliminated the Olive Oil on 4/5)
1/3 C Pinot Griggio (Added in the April version)
Juice of one lime and one lemon

4 Chicken Quarters

Mix first six ingredients together in a bowl to form a paste.  Spread over chicken quarters. Tuck some of the marinate under the skin but the majority over the skin.  Let sit for at least one hour and overnight is better. (April version marinated in a zip lock bag for about three hours)

Grill chicken on medium low fire until done. (Depending on the size of the chicken quarter it may take up to an hour) 

The flavor of this dish came across as being smoky spicy with a nice lime undertone.




Veggie Side 
Green Beans
Onion
Mushrooms
Coconut Oil
Flax Seed

For the veggie, I sauteed the onion in 1 T of coconut oil until transparent.  Next add the green beans until almost done.  Add the mushrooms and flax seed.

There was no seasoning on the veggies.  I let the sauteed onion provide a nice sweetness against the spice of the chicken.  It was a nice balance together of fresh and heat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment