Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Herbed Lamb Meatballs

When I had the idea for this blog, I was very much excited about the transformation of recipes. My main goal was to make regular recipes available for those of us following a gluten free, sugar free, dairy free lifestyle.  My first post required several attempts and a few tweaks here and there until I came up with an acceptable end result.

Since my hubby and I are HUGE fans of lamb, the Herbed Lamb Meatballs with Rich Tomato Sauce and ricotta (Food & Wine Magazine, January pg 96) seemed like the next great experiment.  Besides loving lamb, I really love recipes that are full of fun herbs I can pick directly from my garden and this recipe had that going for it.  Full of excitement, I read the ingredient list.  Marker in hand, I was ready to make my substitutions.

While this recipe IS delicious, it was a bittersweet read.  I WANTED to make substitutions and transformations and prove that eating in my new found "free zone" was doable.  I wanted to show change! And with this recipe, there was little to change.  And then it hit me...who said everything has to be changed?  This recipe (other than the ricotta topper) was good on its own. There was no need to change.  Proof that we can eat healthy and fun and tasty without turning our world upside down.

The recipe below does have a few tweaks but those had more to do with the state of my pantry than fitting into my diet.  I substituted coconut oil for the olive oil only because I was running low on Olive Oil.  And, as you will find out if you continue to follow, I only use Pink Himalayan Sea Salt.  Lastly, I added more wine.  I have a feeling I will be doing that a lot as well.
Herbed Lamb meatballs served with my homemade red cabbage slaw with capers.


Sauce

1/4 C Coconut Oil
4 large garlic cloves minced
1 C lightly packed basil leaves, torn
2 T oregano leaves
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
Two 20 oz cans whole Italian tomatoes with the juices, crushed
6 large anchovy fillets, chopped
1 C Red wine (this is totally my idea.  A good red sauce needs wine)
Himalayan sea salt and pepper
Meatballs
1/2 C raw almonds, finely chopped
1/2 C coconut milk
2 1/2 lbs ground lamb
2 large eggs, beaten lightly
1/4 C finely chopped basil leaves, plus whole leaves for garnish
1/4 C finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
2 T finely chopped mint
1 T finely chopped oregano
1 1/2 tsp finely chopped thyme
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 T dry red wine (just one T?  guess that means a glass for me while cooking)
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground fennel
1 1/2 T Himalayan sea salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 C coconut oil


Warning:  After an hour of cooking this sauce, your house will smell AMAZING!
MAKE THE SAUCE In a large saucepan, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the anchovies and cook until they basically "melt".  Next, add garlic, basil, oregano, bay leaves and red pepper and cook over moderately high heat for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and simmer over moderately low heat, stirring, until the tomatoes are saucy, 1 hour. Stir in the about a cup of red wine.
MAKE THE MEATBALLS In a bowl, cover the almonds with the milk and let stand until most of the milk has been absorbed, 30 minutes. Add all of the remaining ingredients except the whole basil leaves, olive oil and mix well. Form into 1 1/2-inch meatballs and transfer to a rimmed baking sheet.
In a skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Working in batches, cook the meatballs over moderately high heat, turning, until nearly cooked through, 7 minutes per batch.  I had issues with the meatballs sticking to the pan.  De-glazing with a bit of red wine worked wonders.
Add the meatballs to the sauce and simmer until cooked through, 8 minutes. Spoon into bowls, top with basil.
MAKE AHEAD The meatballs can be refrigerated in the sauce overnight.

SUGGESTED PAIRING from Food & WinE
Traditional Chianti Classicos, made with only Sangiovese, have an herbal edge that befits these meatballs.

While my initial plan was to have the suggested pairing on hand, that didn't happen with this recipe.  On hand at my house was BV Coastal Cab, a personal choice with heavier tomato based dishes.  The wine that WOULD have been my choice is BV Coastal Pinot Noir.  Unfortunately, it was sold out at my local liquor store.  Probably because Food & Wine named it a great wine under $10.

No comments:

Post a Comment